Centennial Coal is an Australian mining business supplying domestic and export markets. Our coal fuels around 40% of NSW’s coal-fired electricity generating capacity, while we also manage a successful export business. With the backing of Banpu, Pan-Asia’s leading independent coal producer, we deliver a superior service to our customers.
Established in 1989 and listed on the Australian Securities Exchange in 1994, Centennial is a coal mining and marketing company supplying thermal and coking coal to the domestic and export markets. From our small beginnings in 1989 and a $20 million listing in 1994, Centennial grew to be a top S&P/ASX 100 company. Upon the takeover by Banpu Public Company Limited in September 2010, our market capitalisation had grown to approximately $2.5 billion. Today, Centennial is a wholly owned subsidiary of Banpu.
Centennial has over 1,400 employees and five operating coal mines in NSW, making Centennial one of the largest underground coal producers in NSW and now, as part of Banpu, a member of the largest independent pan-Asian coal group.
Centennial is a major fuel supplier to the New South Wales energy industry, fuelling approximately 40% of the State’s coal-fired electricity. We have a growing export capability and currently sell approximately 40% of our coal into the export market. Coal is exported through ports at Newcastle and Port Kembla in NSW and our customers include power stations and steel mills in Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Europe.
We are securing our future through organic growth at our existing operations and focusing on the Company’s portfolio management including acquisitions, divestments and focused exploration.
To be the leading, sustainable Australian coal supplier to both domestic and export markets.
To operate and grow a sustainable mining business, delivering value to our customers, our shareholder and at the same time exceeding the expectations of our stakeholders.
Principles are integral to our business as we:
- Strive for financial and operational excellence
- Refuse to compromise on safety
- Listen to, understand and provide opportunities for our employees
- Communicate honestly and openly with our stakeholders at all times
- Encourage innovation
- Strive for synergy by collaboration
- Value our corporate reputation and social licence to operate and strive to be a good corporate citizen
To be sustainable we must:
- Seek zero harm to people and the environment
- Productively and efficiently mine quality coal
- Increase Company value
- Leave a community with greater capacity than when we arrived
- Attract, develop, motivate and retain a diverse workforce
- Maximise the value of the resources we use
- Secure new resources