Lamberts Gully was a small open-cut operation which has been under rehabilitation since mid-2010 and a previously mined pit area is still used by Centennial as a reject emplacement area for the nearby Springvale Coal Services washery. Reject comprises the waste resulting from washing coal and is an ideal landfill material.
The recent rehabilitation works include backfilling open-cut pits with overburden and revegetating the landscape. Monitoring of the progress of the rehabilitation will continue with the aim to demonstrate that the revegetation is successfully blending with the surrounding undisturbed areas.
Mining began at Lamberts Gully in 1942 and over the past 70 years the site has been owned by various coal companies, each with its own method of coal mining. Underground mining of the Lithgow Seam occurred for over 50 years between the 1940s and 1990s, with open-cut mining also used as an adjunct to the original underground operations capturing the Irondale, Lidsdale and Lithgow seams.
Development consent was granted to Centennial in 1998, approving the extension of previous open-cut operations to supply coal to Mt Piper Power Station. Approval extensions were sought in 2006 to further extend the life of the mine. Commercial operations ceased in 2010 and site rehabilitation commenced.