During the mine planning stage of the Mandalong Southern Extension Project two TransGrid owned 330kV transmission lines (TL24 and TL25/26) were identified as sensitive infrastructure posing a major constraint to the mine layout. Most of the sensitive transmission towers have been protected by the mine design but some could not be avoided. In November 2013 TransGrid completed a Feasibility Study recommending that a section of TL24 be relocated. In 2015 TransGrid completed a Network Modification Scoping Study determining the preferred route for the relocation.
In March 2016 Centennial Mandalong submitted an application to modify development consent SSD-1544 for the Mandalong Transmission Line TL24 Relocation Project (the TL24 Project) under Section 96(2) of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act (1979) which was on public display from 22nd April to 6th May 2016. The Department of Planning and Environment granted approval for the modification on 14th June 2016.
The TL24 Project involves relocating a 2.4 kilometre section of TL24 in addition to removing 12 existing steel lattice towers and establishing eight new steel lattice towers.
Key stages of the TL24 Project are:
- Completion of the Environmental Assessment and technical specialist reports (COMPLETE);
- Submission of the Environmental Assessment to DP&E (COMPLETE);
- Approval determination (COMPLETE);
- Establishment of access tracks and clearing of required 60 metre wide power line easement;
- Construction of proposed tower foundations and establishment of towers for the new section of TL24;
- Stringing and cutting in of lines on new section of TL24;
- Removal and remediation of redundant TL24 structures; and
- Rehabilitation on completion of construction works.
Approximately 8.5 hectares of clearing is required for the new section of TL24, which includes a 60 metre wide easement entirely on land owned by Centennial Coal. Following the establishment of the eight new towers and relocation of the line the redundant 12 towers will be decommissioned, dismantled and removed in consultation with affected landowners. While Centennial Mandalong is the proponent for the TL24 Project, all construction and decommissioning works will be managed by TransGrid.
At this stage, land preparation activities are scheduled to commence in Qtr 2 2017 once the Mandalong Road intersection and first stage of the Mandalong South Services Site access road have been completed.
The following documents relating to the Project can be downloaded from this website:
- Mandalong Southern Extension Project_MOD 1_Statement of Environmental Effects;
- Mandalong Southern Extension Project_MOD 1_Response to Submissions;
- Mandalong Southern Extension Project_MOD 1_Secretary's Environmental Assessment Report;
- Mandalong Southern Extension Project_MOD 1_Notice of Modification; and
- Mandalong Southern Extension Project_MOD 1_Consolidated Consent.